- Are the only people that can make Ensign sound like a four letter
- Think that Ensigns should be seen and not heard, and never, ever, be
allowed to read books on leadership.
- Don't eat quiche, they can't even pronounce it.
- Don't have any civilian clothes.
- Have CPO Association Cards from their last 5 commands.
- Don't remember any time they weren't Chief's.
- Have a coffee pot next to their desk with a tube running from it to
- Don't write in script, except for their paycheck signature.
- Proposes like this: "There will be a wedding at 1000 hours on
29 October, be there in whites with your gear packed because you will
be a prime participant."
- Favorite national holiday is CPO Initiations.
- Keeps four sets of dress khaki uniforms in the closet in hopes they
will come back.
- Favorite food is shipboard SOS for breakfast.
- Wish KP was still a Navy Tradition, 'cause they don't have to pull
- Don't know how to tell civilian time.
- Call each other "Chief."
- Greatest fear is signing for property book items.
- Dream in Navy Blue, White, Haze Gray and occasional khaki thrown in
for good measure.
- Have served on ships that are now war memorials or tourist
- Get tears in their eyes when the "Chief" dies in the movie
- Call their wife, CINCHOUSE
- Have tattoos and are carefully tanned.
- Don't like Certified Navy Twill. "Wash Khaki" is the only
*&$#?@ thing to make a uniform out of.
- Can find their way to the Stag Bar in CPO Clubs blindfolded, on 15
different Navy Bases.
- Have pictures of ships in their wallets instead of their wife and
- Don't own any pens that do not have "Property U.S. Govt."
- Don't voluntarily get the mandatory flu shots.
- Don't order supplies, they swap for them.
- Don't drink, not since the invention of the funnel.
- Love quotes. Their favorite is from the movie Ben Hur, "We keep
you alive to serve this ship."
- Don't curse like Bosun Mates. Bosun's curse like Real Chief's.
- Can name 15 bars in Hong Kong, but knows that the best bars are
across the bay in Kowloon.
- Are at sea when their kids are born.
- Think that a 7 course meal, is a baked potato and a 6 pack of beer.
- Think excessive modesty is their only fault.
- Hate to write evaluations, except for their own.
- Turn in a 4 page brag sheet for their evaluation.
- Last ship was always better.
- Don't make coffee.
- Know that the black tar in their coffee cup makes the coffee taste
- Idea of heaven-Three good PO1's and a Division Officer who does what
he is told.
- Think John Wayne would have made a good Chief, if he had not gone
soft and made Marine movies.
- Are hated by Supply Officers, who have to take inventory after the
Chief pays a social call.
- Use the term "Good Training" to describe any unpleasant
- Scraping the sides of the ship is "Good Training."
- Spending the night drinking and getting sick the next day is
- Having to sleep on your seabag in the parking lot because there
was no room in the barracks is "Good Training."
- Have the heart of a little boy.....kept in a jar on their desk