Soc. Sec. Benefit
Home Up

Here's a little tidbit of info for those that served in the military that will increase your Social Security retirement a little.   Good info ... pass it on!!!

There is a little known program/benefit for people who served in the military prior to January 2002. In a nutshell it boils down to this:

Credited for years of active duty through 2001 (the program was done away with in January 2002).  You may be eligible for up to $1200 per year of earnings credit (go to for more detail.)

Credited at time of application:

Bring in DD-214* to Social Security Office - you must ask for this benefit to receive it!

For those of us who have not yet applied for Social Security this is something to put in your files for down the road when you do.   It is not just for military retirees but anyone who has served on active duty prior to January 2002.

Please feel free to forward this information on to others who served on active duty in the Armed Forces who are entitled to this benefit but must ask for it!

* Here is the government site to obtain the DD214:
Go to the site; at the bottom is the request form button.  Do not use the commercial, cost type sites - this is the National Archives site.